A guide to understanding, and liberating ourselves from, our past.
To an extraordinary and humbling extent, who we are as adults is determined by events that happened to us before our fifteenth birthday. The way we express affection, the sort of people we find appealing, our understanding of success and our approach to work are all shaped by events in childhood.
We don’t have to remain prisoners of the past, but in order to liberate ourselves from our histories we must first become fully aware of them. This is a book about such a liberation. We learn about how character is developed, the concept of ‘emotional inheritance’, the formation of our concepts of being ‘good’ or ‘bad’ and the impact of parental styles of love on the way we choose adult partners. We learn too about how we might evolve emotionally and, in particular, how we may sometimes need to have a breakdown in order to have a breakthrough.
We are left with a powerful sense that building up an emotionally successful adult life is possible so long as we reflect with sufficient imagination and compassion on what happened to us a long while back.
• Emotional Inheritance - How emotional problems are handed down from parent to child
• The Golden Child Syndrome - How too much love from our parents can be just as damaging as too little
• Over-Achievement - How we compensate for emotional neglect through worldly success
• Splitting - How we fail to reconcile between the good and bad aspects of our parents
• Soothing - How we still require the kinds of affection we received as children
• Becoming an Adult - How recognising our immaturity is the key to growth
On Snobbish Parents
"Given how pejorative the term is, we are understandably keen to locate snobs somewhere far from us. They are the people in the newspaper, or the ones who live in the other part of town or went to the school we didn't go to - but it's nice not to imagine them too near to home"
On People Pleasing
On Responses to Criticism
Hardback book | 118 pages | 187 x 115 mm
I nyhetsbrevet vårt får du nyheiter, unike rabattkodar som ingen andre får, våre eigne spelelister og litt herleg inspirasjon✨